Sunday, August 15, 2004

Alcohol

Programmer: Last night I had an interesting vision.

Socrates: What was it?

Programmer: I imagined that I went to the tattoo shop and covered myself with the all the code that I have ever written.

Socrates: That is indeed very interesting. What do you think this symbolizes?

Programmer: I doubt there is any symbolism there, since the vision came after I had a six pack of #9.

Socrates: I know this beer, it is great.

Programmer: Yes, I doubt I can be effective without it.

Socrates: Do you drink often?

Programmer: Pretty much every day.

Socrates: Me too. Although I prefer wine to beer.

Programmer: I like to alternate.

Socrates: What is it about beer and wine that makes them so addictive?

Programmer: I think that they put our minds into a certain, otherwise unreachable, state of creativity.

Socrates: Yes, I love this state.

Programmer: Do you hear a strange sound?

Socrates: No, not really, what are you hearing?

Programmer: It is like a hummm.... Humming sound.

Socrates: I can't hear anything.

Programmer: I hear it quite distinctly and I think that it is increasing.

Socrates: Ok, since I can not hear it, I am going to pretend that it is not there.

Programmer: That is certainly one way of dealing with things.

Socrates: I am curious, how much beer do you need to drink in order to get to the point of creativity?

Programmer: You know, in my experience, it is not the quantity, but it is rather the amount of beer per unit of time. For me, it is enough to have a bottle, get buzzed and then to sip through interest of the evening.

Socrates: I hear the sound! It is quite odd. Hummmmmm... Humming sound.

Programmer: What do you think it symbolizes?

Socrates: I can't quite pin point it, but I have heard this sound before.

Programmer: I am afraid that it is a sound of madness.

Socrates: How can it be? I do not think that madness has any sounds.

Programmer: But it does. Listen... Hummmm... Hummmmm... Hummmmm... Do you understand?

Socrates: I do not think I do.

Programmer: Imagine that you are walking naked through a large city. There are people and lights everywhere. But you are naked with a mission. You just keep on going through. And finally, people accept you. And when they accept you, they sing: Hummmm.....

Socrates: This does sound mad.

Programmer: Just accept it.

Socrates: With a great pleasure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home